PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New (2010) Stall Recovery's @ high altitudes
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 08:23
Ask21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stall or Spin recovery?

FAA trained or not, it is a fact that using rudder to lift a wing is commonly taught in flying schools in Australia. Judging also by the questions that appear in the PPRuNe Instructor Forum, it happens elsewhere as well. It seems to be handed down from generation to generation of young flying instructors who in turn once they achieve Grade One instructor status teach new instructors.

It has proved impossible to completely eradicate this technique throughout many general aviation flying schools. But you would think when type rating courses are conducted this erroneous teaching would soon be discovered and rectified.
From my training in a sailplane it was common training procedure to induce both stall and spin and recover from it. Stall was induced at 1000 meters /3000 feet by pulling the stick - speed slow down - increased angle of attack. To recover simply put stick forward. To induce spin - give a strong rudder at the close to stall state. That would cause one wing to drop as a stone and give a spin (rotation) To RECOVER from spin wing stick/ailron was in neutral but strong rudder to opposite side of spin to reduce rotation - it did work. Quite a lot loss of height. Does training on jets include recovery from states of spin? Or is there a mix of procedures. Seems to me that rudder should not be used unless you have a completely stalled single wing / spin situation - in that case I don't think ailron will work anyway. If ailron works I guess it would mean that the wing was not completely stalled in the first place. On the other hand it should be known that heavy rudder at close to stall angle /incompete stall could induce a complete stall of one wing and a following spin situation.

It was also common knowledge that a good designed wing would stall from the medial side first, close to the hull. That is to preserve ailron-funcion as long as possible. The lateral part of the wing will be designed with a lower angle of attac than the medial. When stall is approached there will be a shaking due to in the plane as inner part of the wings stall and experience turbulence in stead of laminar flow.

I would recommend pilots to take a training tour in a sailplane to experience a fully stalled situation and spin and practice of its recovery.

Last edited by Ask21; 2nd Sep 2010 at 09:25. Reason: correct error