PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The worst roster Commercial Airline flying!
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 08:18
rubik101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the reasons I never looked back after leaving a well known german carrier was a roster that had you landing at 23.30Z, (01.30 local) with a 30 min taxi back to the airport you started at to pick up your car then home maybe at 01.00-01.30Z. My next report was at the same airport with the 30 min taxi ride to check in at 00.10 (24hrs and 25mins later) for a flight to Crete and back.

Those hours free of duty between the two taxi rides was officially and legally, according to the LBA a day off, one of the 8 you were entitled to.

Just take a moment to ponder that...you get home at 03.00 local and have to be getting showered and ready at 22.30 local the same day for a 12 hour shift and it's your day off!

3, 4 or 5 hours in a taxi before or after duty were quite common. (only half of which counted as FDP, as you were 'relaxing') Lates and earlies mixed with min rest in between were also commonplace.

Single days off such as that mentioned were the norm. If you had 2 days off together you were very fortunate. 3 days in a row was generally a rostering error and occured about as frequently as my winning the lottery.

Afaik, it's still much the same for these German carriers, the management of which virtually own the LBA. JAA/European FTL are simply ignored. So for these reasons, I would say thay was the worst roster I have ever suffered.