PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 01:30
bearfoil

The A400 has four pair of brackets, a 33% improvement in the context of the ultimate engineering goal in aeromanufacture. Please return to BEA photos of the brackets left attached to 447's VS. Then return to Machaca's image of the A400, then back, as many times as you need until you understand something about the challenge in accepting that the Fin "popped" out of its mounts due to injection into the substructure, followed by a slight torsion and a "buoyancy" impetus. I have not seen A320 Fin pictures closeup (Perpignan assessment flight).

10600 pounds of fuel in the THS. Upset at perhaps M.85, upset with wings level ?
Doubtful. Look at Perpignan. 20,000 hours between 1 and 2. Daylight, below ceiling of 3,000 feet, knows the ocean is there, climbs rolls, falls, climbs rolls past 97 degrees, all this in a volitional manoeuvre. Very ill advised, but. Someone else consider the floor, the RTLU, etc. I think 447 lost her tailfeathers after upset, after final ACARS, at altitude. Machaca's rotogravure gives a slight push. That jig bearing the siren sculpture, I agree, it is not your standard hard point rotisserie.

PBL I briefly mentioned a pilot in command considering a Ditch, but very early, and mostly as a prayer. Who else talks of Ditching? It is a fleeting thought, perhaps, but I think no one on board believed it in the realm.
Roll, no Bug, no Horizon, the nose is down, fix the roll fix the roll now pitch up slowly, slowly Airspeed Airspeed, Pitch up, no down, roll roll. All the way down. Another tragic Airbus, 587, had daylight, the standard issue spunky Rudder, and ended up inverted, rolling slowly. If she had been 100knots faster, at say 35k feet, she could not have even kept her svelte body in one piece. We are likely ignoring 447's THS at the expense of a better view. She kept it on descending in an airstream of perhaps 200 knots that was virtually 90degrees verse aerodynamic? Loaded with fuel, buffeted and changing drag quickly and heavily. With the kind of Pitch angle excursions in the Perpignan crash, the fully loaded tail would no more withstand separation than 587 did her VS/Rudder. It articulates, and has "Rudders" with better loading than the actual Rudder. Changing from 50 degrees up to 19 degrees down, (Perpignan) is virtually 70 degrees of sweep. Protections?

GreatBear To travel to "likely" involves a bonfire of the vanities through the Possible, and even the ridiculous. It is necessary to goad with the impossible those who defend the unkown, those who don't want to know, or stand to write big checks if Pollyanna really is full of crap.

bear

Last edited by bearfoil; 2nd Sep 2010 at 02:27.