PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are military trained Helicopter pilots overrated?
Old 1st Sep 2010, 21:53
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
choppersquad321

You also appear to be new to understanding pilots.

It isn't relevant what color of money it was that paid for training, if you are hiring somebody. Military training carries with it the chance to fail, get washed out of training, a decision typically made early on to save the tax payers some money. Your decision to bring an emotional tone to that element of your essay is one of many weaknesses in support of a vaguely formed assertion.

But as others have noted, you'll get good and bad eggs in either basket when you choose to hire a pilot for the opening your company has.

The keys to choosing an individual you will or will not hire include:
  • how teachable, and how trainable, is he or she?
  • how experienced is this pilot, generally?
  • how does that experience fit the tasks and jobs this pilot will be assigned when flying for my company?
I flew and instructed both fixed wing and helicopter in the Navy. I first learned how to fly in a Varga Kachina. I got to see how pilots, both fresh and grizzled, adapted to new tasks, jobs, roles, missions, and equipment. The stovepipe you attempt to ram two classes of pilots into are ill-suited for the decision you wish to influence, which is related to hiring a pilot.

Regardless of how many hours one has, a very important consideration is how well, and how quickly, a given pilot adapts to a new task or job.

Beyond that, no further comment, other than this: as written, your piece isn't worth publishing.