PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are military trained Helicopter pilots overrated?
Old 1st Sep 2010, 20:51
Macaco Norte

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
PullHarder

What are you talking about!

I had some years in the Mil in which I flew more hours than any I have had since leaving.
In my experience its the civvy pilots that can not take criticism, Usually the P1's that probably should have spent a little longer in the other seat. They feel it may impact their reputation. An attitude that is practically beaten out of Mil pilots. How long did you fly and what was it you flew when in the mil? Limited IMC and mainly in the sim? What is 'IMC (without NVG)?' Surely if NVG are required its VMC or at least 2km & 700ft(when I left). NVG is not logged as IMC so I don't understand that statement at all. Unless you were RN, using the 'sole reference to instruments' argument, then you would have had to have been a junglie pilot as pingers are single pilot and therefore you would know that your single pilot reference is also bo!!ox. How many police/HEMS pilots do you know that are ex mil? If its not many then consider the fact that you probably left the mil too early. Probably not knowing quite as much as you think you do.
Most ex mil types (not just pilots) are trained thoroughly to accept conditions where they will have to think for themselves, an ability that must be(not may be) learned. So working without support would be second nature.

I also had respect for the guys who flew the ARA with what seemed like an unnatural ease. However after flying them time and again, year after year, its only too obvious why they seem so uneventful. After all its the weather conditions and only the weather conditions that make Flying offshore vaguely interesting.

I never had a military chip on my shoulder. I do however have experiences that some civvy pilots choose to resent.

I respect the experience and abilities of all the friends and colleagues that I work with and have worked with in the past. It is my opinnion that no matter what a pilots background he is as able and as fallable as the next.

Although you never actually state in your post that you were once a military pilot. I have doubts that you actually served at all.

Last edited by Macaco Norte; 1st Sep 2010 at 20:56. Reason: grammar