PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2010, 19:49
Old Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Machaca, for the mention of the material used in the VS clevises and their contiguous attachments to the frames (an AB 400, smaller submodel; do I have that right?). Are the frames in this area also metal?

This is the first time I have seen mention of the material from which key parts are fabricated. By "key", I mean parts from which the official reports have drawn conclusions. I think a substantial improvement in the usefulness of these reports could be made by including such information. I'll elaborate on the reason later.

Also let me thank Bearfoil, mm43, and possibly others who pointed out that a substantial discussion of the VS to rudder drag link (part 36g) was back at pages 19 to 30 or so in this thread (March+/-). I had a long-lasting problem on this computer thru that time, and have since been reading both forwards and backwards from the point where I returned.

Thanks too for some excellent enlarged photo clips of the drag link area. If they are from the report pictures, it was a lot more than I could do with my photo tools. I noticed in them something that suggests an alternate explanation for the fracture of that link-- that is, an alternate to a 36 g's impact with the water surface. I tend to agree with those who have said that the moderate degree of damage, to components spilled from the plane and recovered, suggests a lesser impact. But I'd prefer to finish reading all the earlier comments in this area before getting into that.

It would help to know the material of that link, part 36g. Was it metal or a fiber-reinforced plastic? Machaca?

Finally, I would say that I agree with PJ2 that the key lessons for the future will lie in answering the questions as to how this event began. However, I do think that questions about the strength of the fin and rudder will also be useful, given the history of problems in this area. At the moment, I lean toward the feeling that Airbus has given attention to this area; because to me the composites area of the fin showed considerable strength this time. But that's just a working premise noted in passing, presented as yet without the careful documentation often seen here.

OE