PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are military trained Helicopter pilots overrated?
Old 1st Sep 2010, 18:35
Pullharder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has been done to death but anyhow, "what limits" has it right on statistics...both mil and civvie crash as often and not taking into account aircraft shot down in a war zone...actually accidents by poor airmanship/pilot error....
I have flown with/taught both mil and civilian and there are as many bad on both sides of the fence....the mil generally fly less hours and some have a hard time adjusting to civvilian rules/regs, lack of support, single pilot ops and many have very few real IMC (without NVG) hours,etc. ........ the difference is attitude, the ex mil think they are the bees knees and cannot take any criticism, as for the last 20 years they have had sunshine blown up their arses ( I remember how I felt joining the "crappy civvies") and the civilians usually take things on board and learn from it... I also remember having a huge amount of respect for the north sea guys when I first flew out of Aberdeen on a real crappy night, imc the whole way in icing conditions,190 miles offshore,doing radar approaches to rigs at night in fog at minima's,(with my limited imc experience with the mil, mainly in the sim)!!! and feeling a bit humble as the P1 took it all in his stride!!!
I took my military chip off my shoulder that night and left it at home forever more....
Fly safe EVERYONE....
P.H.