PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking responsibility for the flying
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2010, 17:45
johns7022

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These days I tend to instruct biz owners on their own jets, turboprops and twins...not in a sim, but in their actual planes...

Some of these guys have an attitude that if I can make a buck selling hamburgers, I must be able to fly a plane..

Most don't have any problem buying all the gear, the toys...they tend to bring it all......more GPS units, moving maps, down loadable weather units and such...they get too busy flipping switches, leaning on the gear...that they usually fly better with just an ILS and a DME to concentrate on.

More to your point...if a guy didn't show up with his gear, ask him how expects to shoot an approach without a chart when he's by himself....or just fly up, and when he asks you for a note pad, pen, chart, ect...tell him you didn't bring one,when you got them behind the seat or something....let it sink in that your flying around in the soup with no charts, let him get busy remembering clearances without a note pad..

Everyone seems to be living in a virtual world these days, injecting a little reality once in a while is a good thing.