PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2010, 14:44
bearfoil

Machaca

First, Sir, let me catch my breath. That pic is exquisite. You have what I envy, the ability to allow something (or someone) to do the talking. I am humbled.

I am also embarrassed! Unfortunately, that will soon pass. The assembly impresses!

Back to critique. The strength (speaks for itself), only further dissociates the focal and concentrated assemblage's beauty. How is this wonder accepted by the Fuselage?

How is the stress (even of the sheer weight of the structure) spread ? The standard solution to 'Tube' is Frame, longeron, skin, and is not meant to support 'anything'. By photograph, this is evident at the structure forward of the first join, where the massive approach abruptly terminates into Tube? When a/c were constructed in one massive hangar, the need for this Weight, Stress, Solution took shape in Blended support.

If the (587) Rudder had been snubbed to prevent over control in Yaw, well.........

The Fuse/VS structure is Independent of the whole, it requires "attachment"

Weak link and all that.....? Any break in stress/response (join) is a "designed" Fracture, by definition. The Dreamliner is an expression of "whole" assembly, but a poor one.

The ultimate solution may be to assemble the entire A/C in a viscous amber and black goo, then bake it (in its entirety) in an as yet unbuilt oven, within 24 hours. Hah!

Resin/Fiber is mated structure to structure in ways that are far behind the potential of the airframe as a whole. Why? The answer is in Capitalism, Politics, and Geography.

I'm taking instruction in how to present my scratchy cocktail napkin drawings here, I can then write much less. Yo!

Back in the days of 587's loss, I tried to promote my idea of sequential Fin failure, top down ; divide the weight at the fuselage, (cut up that beautiful monster) into three (or four) "mates", such that the top and weakest mate failed and subtracted its contribution to Bending moment at the (587's) large mate. Shorten the Lever, as it were. Or, blow the Rudder off with explosive bolts at the Hinges, simples. What a nut? The Rudder jett is an extreme example of why the Rudder is a hangar on, it is not necessary for basic flight!!

bear

Last edited by bearfoil; 1st Sep 2010 at 15:08.