PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying an Intriguing Passion!!
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2010, 12:25
blue_manx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was explained to me not long ago by an experianced captain who from what I understand has had his fair share of ups and downs throughout his aviation Career.

"flying is the equivalent to being a drug addict". Once you get a taste of the addiction you want more..."

He is absolutley right, the fact that we spend $40 000 plus to get ourselves qualified in the first place, not even be guaranteed a job either... why???

Then once your in you start out as a casual working two jobs just to try and survive. Its not only a struggle to find your first single engine job but then you have to do it all again for your first twin engime job. You think once you reach your 500 hours multi command you think things get easier but you then go into a regional or even an airline where you succumb to 6 monthly base checks where if you fail you face losing your job... Its madness why on earth do we do it? THE ADDICTION

I have been flying for nearly 10 years now and I have had so many more downs than ups and I have had those days where you have done the same run for the 60th time in a row but honestly I wouldn't be in any other career? If I was dismissed tomorrow i would start again from the bottom in an instant because the addiction has taken a hold of me and I just love it.

I think the saying is "Better to be on the ground wishing you were up there than uo there wishing you were on the ground"..... CRAP I love every minute of being up there even when the weather is terrible and its all turned to and I am wishing I was down there... Its a story, its and experiance and its one hell of an adrenahlin rush.