PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Serious Gulfstream incident in Kerry Ireland.
Old 1st Sep 2010, 09:29
CaptainProp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its always easy to look back at events and say point fingers but one thing that I think is worth mentioning is the CPTs statement in the letter months after the incident:

“Three things that triggered the distraction that derive from this incident are: the windshield screen rupture, the engine vib. and the lack of support from my Copilot, as his situational awareness was diminished and confused by the sequence of events at the time” “In summary I was the only one there flying commanding, navigating and correcting what was erroneously compromising the safety of the flight. Making all the decisions and preventing the aircraft from a worst situation. As I managed to landed safely”
This is not only a load of BS, it is also something that we can all learn from and hopefully remember if we ever end up in a similar situation.

As a Captain it is your JOB to do the "commanding, navigating and correcting what was erroneously compromising the safety of the flight". If you don't not like a job involving these responsibilities then being a pilot sure as h@ll is the wrong job. If the first officer is "falling behind" on what is going on and where you are then its your job to make sure you he gets back "on board" and back in the loop. Get the aircraft to a safe altitude, enter a hold at present position and let ATC know what you are up to. Then SIT BACK for a minute or two before you start rushing in to something that you will regret later. Being within 35 nm from an airport there are VERY few, if any, situations where you need to rush things.

Sounds like common sense and nothing that needs to be "lectured" to professional pilots? I'm sure these guys would have said the same if told in the morning of this flight.....

Good luck!

CP

Last edited by CaptainProp; 1st Sep 2010 at 12:43. Reason: Spelling....