PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian subs stalk Trident
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2010, 07:55
Biggus

Received 72 Likes on 33 Posts
KMD,

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. This is a military aviation website, and although viewable by the general public, is not designed to be a place to make statements to gain public support. Rather it is where (mainly) current and ex military aviators exchange news, information and yes, opinions. I'm sure if you visted a doctors or nuclear physicists website it would be equally full of jargon. If I am going to write something intended for the wider public I will use more appropriate wording to match my target audience, and I wouldn't post it on pprune.....

The military, as I'm sure many other organizations are, is full of TLAs - try watching the start (or indeed all) of the Renaissance Man with Danny Devito.
We use them without thinking.

Are we supposted to explain what an F-18 is, an MPA, SSN, SSBN, F-35, JSF, etc? Where does it stop?

If you really want to know what a TLA, or other phrase, means then either simply ask (in the miltary we often say there is no such thing as a stupid question), or use your initiative as we often say to the 'wannabes'. As for your own queries, try using google to search for:

CAS RAF
COS RAF
Waddo RAF
TLA

and all will be revealed. CAS also has at least 2 common meanings in the RAF, normally it is obvious from the rest of the sentence which meaning is intended, which is unfortunately also the case with far too many TLAs these days

Oh, and in the military we say the troops are normally happy provided you don't mess with their food, pay and leave. Pensions come under the heading of pay - so most military people do take an active interest in their pensions!!

Maybe I should change my user name to "neanderthal"?

Last edited by Biggus; 1st Sep 2010 at 08:14.