PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 1st Sep 2010, 07:10
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 'hate mail' newsrag was reporting that unemployment is, once again, on the rise and due to hit 10% by 2012. This was backed up with articles in the Times, Guardian and the Independant.

That makes one in ten adults of employable age and condition without any sort of job.

It would seem the UK job market and indeed the world job markets are all in for a rough ride. This is, however, symptomatic of recession recovery where the markets and the job markets drag the recession by upto 18-24 months. As this is forecast to be a long, drawn out recovery (look at 10-15 years possibly), something that is supoorted by the worsening GDP figures from around the globe, that puts all businesses on a wary footing. The irony of the previous recessions is that large corporations start going out of business in this period as they don't have the cash reserves to survive the necessary restructuring.

If the BASSA hard liners want to go and swim in these dangerous waters then, by all means, go and do it. I, along with the vast majority of my colleagues, will do my utmost to prevent you from forcing me to do the same.

War is the ultimate consequence of failed diplomacy
MissM, why do you think that BASSA striking over Christmas (again) would force negotiation? In the eyes of the public it is a direct attack, not on the company, but on them. The company will fly its full service again (with my help if necessary) and achieve the moral high ground.

Unite has so many battles to fight at the moment as they try and cling on to working practices that existed in a world of excess spending and easy credit. Time to change and, sadly, BASSA fighting over 'perks' is not going to be at the top of their priority list. Perhaps the Civil Servants actually losing their jobs might need a bit more support than a bunch of well paid workers losing their annual concessionary ticket.

Just a thought for all the 'brothers and sisters' from BFC.