PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 31st Aug 2010, 22:03
Colonel White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miss M

A possible threat of another strike over Christmas should be enough for WW to want to reach a settlement with us.

Nobody wants a strike but there are thousands of us will walk out at Christmas if necessary. I am one of those and I will not hestitate a second to do it.
A strike ? On what grounds ?? If BASSA really had a cause that the knew could not be linked back to any previous strike action, how come they didn't put it to the membership immediately after they had that resounding rejection of the management offer. What was it now ? 75% voted to tell BA to put their offer where the sun don't shine, Wait a sec, that was 75% of those cats who expressed a preference. But less than 50% expressed a view, so actually the offer was trashed by around a third (I'm being generous) of the membership. The rest ? well they missed the deadline. Funny that ... You see I think that Duncan and the boys and girls on the committee got cold feet. I think they are sitting at this poker table with a jack high and praying that nobody calls their bluff. If only a third of the members can be counted on to go on strike, that means it won't have any real impact. And that is assuming that there is this super new reason for walking out.

How many will actually support a strike if they know
a) it won't stop the airline from running a 100% schedule and
b) it will cost them their jobs
??

What do you think ? Of that 3000 odd, how many think that BA won't sack them ? Even if they don't, how many will be able to take a hit on the pay packet over the Xmas period ? Don't forget we are talking about the same boys and girls who have already lost their staff travel because Duncan and co said BA wouldn't dare take it away.

Put it another way, are you prepared to lose your job to support this cause ? Because that is what it comes down to. Do you want to throw away however many years service you have put in and be faced with the dole queue ? There aren't a huge number of jobs out there for ex-cabin crew despite what you may think. Particularly ex-BA cabin crew who have been sacked. As Clint Eastwood put ' So do you feel lucky ??'