PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to Deauville from White Waltham
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2010, 13:29
nick ritter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much to all those above for the advice on this trip. I made it to Deauville on Saturday, taking my brother and his mate for lunch in Honfleur

The trip couldn’t have been better or easier (once we actually got airborne). For one the weather was fantastic, a great relief considering the horrendous conditions earlier in the week

In the end we routed from WW to Shoreham and then along to St Catherine’s point before crossing the channel and then we just followed the coast along to Le Harve and around to Deauville. On the way back we headed along the beaches towards Cherbourg and then crossing the channel direct towards Goodwood

The only issue I had (when actually flying) was in remembering what time I had indicated on the customs form that we planned to return. Fearing that I was 30mins too early I took a detour around the isle of white once before heading back

For one I certainly preferred the overall experience of Deauville to Le Touquet. The cab on the way in was 35 EUR (which was ordered for us) and on the way back it was 30 EUR. Seemed high for what it was but it was definitely worth it

For new PPL’s like me, I would certainly recommend making the trip. I don’t think you will be disappointed. Not too far to bore to death a wife and certainly loads going on in the town to keep everyone happy. The food was also great

If anyone can recommend another suitable destination across the channel but not too far from WW I would greatly appreciate it. I was thinking next of trying to make it to Belgium, or Holland. Anywhere where it is relatively near to WW, not too difficult with all the airspace and most importantly where the food is good

Nick

Last edited by nick ritter; 31st Aug 2010 at 16:07.