PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA Crash Jamaica
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2010, 13:16
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will be interesting to see the results of this.
Originally Posted by PEI
If for the prelanding check crews use the advisory data and factor this by the ‘in flight’ minimum (1.15) as indicated in FAA SAFO 06012, then as above, the result can be a different and much shorter distance than that required for dispatch.
- the 737 advisory tables are already factored by 15%

"accurate approach speed, ideal touchdown position, and max brake in the conditions specified." - is there another way of doing this landing thing?

I must say that in all my years of 737 ops, using the advisory tables for autobrake settings on artificially 'reduced' LDAs (ie planning exit points) has ALWAYS been spot on. I note from another thread that one airline apparently actually carries certification data in the cockpit. This is most unusual in my experience, and begs the question - following all the reams of theoretical 'papers' and 'studies' we see quoted, here and elsewhere - what exactly do our fundis suggest a 737 crew should do when runway conditions change from planned during the arrival, and have only the advisory figures to hand?

Re AA331 - I note they landed 'half-way down the runway' and there is no mention of touchdown speed or technique applied, so can we actually point a finger at the figures?