PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather avoidance and ATC
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2010, 12:09
HEATHROW DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<<However, they seem to have not realised that today it is possible to have a colour real time feed from the local weather radar as a selectable overlay on the display when required. The information is fed as far as the ops room but that is all. and the reason why they won't do it - money.>>

It's 8 years since I retired from LATCC. At that time there was a weather radar display in the ops room connected direct to the Met Office. I was told that they charged NATS £50,000 per year for the privilege of seeing a picture which anyone can now bring up for free on the internet!!

<<ATC - You turned and climbed without clearance. I am going to send a report and your stupid captain ass is toast.>>

Thankfully, Air Traffic Controllers are professional people who would never use such language.

Also meant to add something I've said many times.. When I was working the interpretation of patterns on airborne weather radar varied dramatically between types of aircraft and airlines; sometimes even with the same type and same airline. One would continue as if there was no weather whilst the one 3nm behind wanted to gyrate all over the sky.

Last edited by HEATHROW DIRECTOR; 31st Aug 2010 at 14:28.