PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clothing issues
Thread: Clothing issues
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2010, 09:55
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Clothing issues

I'm stretching my mind on the subject of clothing, safety, and being around flying machines.

Depending upon our working environment, most of us when we're flying or working on the ground around aeroplanes wear something specificl Hiz-viz on the ground, uniforms of some description in the air. And of-course, there's always somebody with an opinion about that clothing - whether it's glowing with praise or burning with sarcasm (this last seems particularly reserved for hi-viz clothing).

Most of the decisions are made by some combination of aesthetic judgment and risk assessment. One would hope more the latter - but frankly I don't believe that: I've seen pilots and CCMs wearing uniforms that look suspiciously likely to be the first thing to go up if close to a fire, and can't say I've ever actually heard of somebody's life being saved by hi-viz clothing.

Or maybe I'm just too cynical, and all these things have been thoroughly thought through and tested?

Has anybody got any actual facts, stories, anecdotes where clothing has made a difference in some way? A nomex suit has saved somebody's skin in a flash fire?, a nylon CCMs uniform has burned them badly in a galley fire?, an accident was actually avoided by the use of hi-viz clothing? Anything?

G