PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laser Nuisance
Thread: Laser Nuisance
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2010, 06:58
rottenray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smiling Knife writes:
1. Able to aim it with such accuracy for 10 secs 2. Even own a l@ser with the power to reach 4 miles up!
Aiming is the interesting part - that takes some skill and the wish to hit an aircraft at cruise altitude.

FWIW, I own a laser which is rated at 1/3 watt. I bought it from an industrial recycling company which sells a lot of old industrial salvage.

Also FWIW, I have never pointed this laser at anything other than an object at ground level within 100 to 200 feet. It is intense - any reflective mineral sends magnificent sprays of light up, and I'm sure that if I played with this a lot it could cause serious "disturbances" even though I don't point it level or above the horizon.

I keep it as a curio - shining it on a piece of black velvet when I have guests over is a sure-fire conversation starter, because it is powerful enough to reflect off the velvet and put on a stunning light show.

IRRenewal writes:
This SkyTag thing was a 2005 April Fool's joke.
Yes, it was, and I laughed my a$$ off.

But there are still fools out there targeting aircraft with lasers, and I don't think they understand just how damn dangerous it is.

Hopefully you were able to give enough information to help track down the irresponsible a$$hole who lit your flight deck.

Aside from the problems such idiots cause you, they cause me problems. As somewhat a home experimenter, I enjoy having the liberty of being able to purchase such items for my own safe and responsible enjoyment. The cretins who target aircraft do nothing more than make it harder for folks like me to pursue hobbies.

RR

edit - corrected stupidity and added last paragraph