PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2010, 00:25
Bellerophon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick Thomas

...I just wondered how the engine was kept at a sub idle 30% N2?...

Just below each engine's individual start switch, there was a second switch, which would select the type of start required, either NORMAL or DEBOW.

When between ten minutes and five hours had elapsed since an engine was last run, a debow start was required. With a debow start selected, the engine was started normally, but the debow system automatically stabilised the engine at a sub-idle RPM, around 30% N2, whilst the interior engine temperatures became more uniform and the HP spool shaft re-aligned/straightened itself.

As to exactly how it did this, you're going to need a reply from an engineer not a pilot. As far as we were concerned, it was the PFM box in the engine start system!

After running for one minute stabilised in debow (or when the debow light came on) the F/E would return the debow switch to normal and check that the N2 returned to idle and the debow light went out. The F/E would monitor the N2 very carefully over these few seconds, as the engine came out of debow, to check that the engine cleared rotating stall.

If it didn't, two things would happen.

Firstly the F/E got fairly busy, trying to clear the engine out of rotating stall without causing it to surge, and secondly, as with any Concorde engine malfunction drill, I quietly give thanks that I was a pilot and not a F/E.

If a debow start was required, but somehow got missed, the engine could give a reasonable impression of an out-of-balance tumble drier, or so I'm told.

Best Regards

Bellerophon