PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2010, 19:28
skol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Green Guard

You're obviously unfamiliar with the datalink, CPDLC, call it what you like, so I'll help you out, mate.
It's a requirement to obtain ATC permission to go off track so a request for '10 left and right of track due weather' is a normal request to the non-flying pilot and is in miles, not degrees. That is the prompt.
Once approval is obtained the heading bug can be used to maneouvre within those limits.
I'm not 'young', I'm 60, but will definitely be departing the aviation scene before I end up being lampooned like some of my elderly colleagues who sometimes find routine tasks impossible, but somehow manage to keep their jobs.

They know they're not up to the job and you'd think they'd have the common sense to quit, but unfortunately not. One or two believe they're onto it and sharp as they were decades ago - it's what I call the 'indispensable syndrome', the company will go into receivership without them.

The most galling part for the S/O's for whom there is no promotion and for the best part are very experienced pilots is having to help these oldies do their jobs.

Last edited by skol; 30th Aug 2010 at 20:39.