PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2010, 18:20
WhatsaLizad-II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZZZZZZZ What was that you said Uhh...ZZZZZZZ!! Come on guys if, the person (he or she) passes medicalīs and SIMīs then, whatīs the problem? Are we discriminating here... sorry not allowed. Pension plans going haywire...maybe?. Young pilotīs also get through their SIMīs and pass medicalīs. And I imagine some are not all that they make out to be! In all fairness, who is going to put an age limit on our profession when, all the above is taken into account. Itīs very nice to work for a company 25 years and retire with a good pension, yes. But, others, have not been so lucky and have been left without a pension. They might need to work in what they are trained to do, shall we deny them that right?
First highlight. Anybody asserting that pilots from 60-70 do not face additonal health problems such as a reduction in quality sleep time, increasing fatigue issues, and a slide in physical reactions is a complete fool in denial. There are health issues that Airman Dr's can immediately find for disqualifications, but many that aren't noticable in a short visit with the typical USA FAA AME. USA commercial pilots also tend to visit their "favorite" AME that tend to be very,very, easy standards. I went to one a few years ago, a notorious "easy" examiner. He was also suffering from the same aging problems as highlighted here. He was near 70.

As I sat down in his office, he was very enjoyable and friendly and said it was great to see me again. He asked how my wife and kids were that they must be getting big since last visit, how my Dad was, as well as a few other friendly questions. The problem was that I'd never saw this Doctor before in my life

I think that experience should cover the foolish cries that oldsters are not a health risk if they pass a Physical.

Second highlight: Who is going to put an age limit? Anyone with half a brain and a rudimentry sense of responsibility. The effects of aging are real and very clear. The existing tests are not adequate to catch them unless they become chronic and severe. It is true that younger aviators do have problems and do slip by in the Sims. They of course may get extra scrutiny, and may have to perform correctly or get "tossed out on their ears" as 411A is fond of saying. They still have a chance to get better. An pilot sliding with the symptoms of aging will not.

Third highlight. You voice concern that many are without pensions and may need to work. This argument is as asinine as the argument that oldsters should retire just for the younger guys. Both assertions are ridiculous and shouldn't be used by either side. Although it hurts me personally, I feel it shouldn't be part of the debate.