PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NJE calling back pilots?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2010, 17:54
northern boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately NB you have not been exposed to that side of NJ, through no fault of your own, but purely because I guess you havent been in the company as long as some of those who have seen this all before, be it with expensive company surveys, working groups, roadshows, town hall meetings, web-conferences, web broadcasts, promises of better communication by each CEO/COO since DM, etc, etc.
Fair enough, I haven't been in NJE that long, I have however been in the aviation business for 15 years and in that time I have seen plenty. From both sides. For 15 years prior to that I worked as a (unionised) engineer and a manager and I saw plenty there as well. I have seen broken promises, stitch ups, sell outs, bullying, threats, intimidation, the whole gamut of human behavior when people have their cherished practices or even their employment put under threat. And I have seen all the above from both management and unions.

The admin board are French. Understandable as this is the formative year.
The rest of the board of directors have representatives from France, UK, Scandinavia, Germany and the Netherlands.
On that board are captains and first officers.
Thank you for the information.

Why will it be any different this time?
Maybe it won't be maybe it will be. I do understand the frustrations of those who have been stuffed in the past, I should be able to if anyone can since I have been a stuffee so many times.

We are now dealing with a different group of people to the ones who got us into this mess, at least at the top levels. I've been off since last November so I'm still catching up with the comings and goings in the office. Basically, we have to try. At the end of the day they run the company and we work for them. That is not to say that we should take any old cr*p that is launched in our direction and we are all entitled to decent working conditions and fair renumeration. However if you want to have everything your way and dictate terms then you should go off and start your own company. You take the risks and find the capital. Then you are entitled to call the shots. If you accept a salary then at least to some extent you have to dance to the tune of your employer.

To that end and particularly in the light of the events of the last couple of years I believe that co operation rather than confrontation is the way to go at least for the moment. If at the end of the day we are treated like puppets then it won't work. Nor will it deserve to. If the company are serious about a proper dialogue with the employees then they will realise this and will in turn, do their best to make it work. After all, their credibility is at stake. I understand that many think that the management only look to their next bonus and have no regard to the long term, there are plenty of examples of this in the business world, but unless or until they prove themselves to be of this mind We have to try

Holding the company to ransom from the outset and forcing a confrontation from day one will result in a hardening of attitudes and probably the loss of jobs, even if only to make a point. I do not think that such posturing is worth the job of anyone. Jaw jaw is better than war war until such time as there really is no other option. That time is not now, when the industry is struggling to get off its knees. Damaging the business will benefit no one and no responsible management will allow it to happen. There are certainly some amongst the crew who share this view and they deserve representation as well, whatever some posters may think.

Just to wrap up, I would like to say something about the idea that the nominees were ordered or enticed to stand with the promise of great things.
I cannot speak for the other nominees but seeing as most folk seem to know who I am I would like to state that I have had no such communication. As for doing myself a deal, I wish. I stand to gain nothing from this and in fact could loose everything. Judging by the tone of some postings I can expect a degree of hostility when I start flying again. I hope this will not be the case but if so, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I would not be standing if I did not believe it was the right thing to do. Just like the skyshare board members in fact. Anyhow the results are not in yet so I may have exposed myself to all of this for nothing. That is the risk you take when you stand for election.

Last edited by northern boy; 30th Aug 2010 at 19:52. Reason: spelling, grammar