PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2010, 17:31
HazelNuts39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bearfoil
I am extremely interested in your thoughts in disagreement with BEA relative to forward velocity at impact.
On this point I have meticulously scanned both reports, but haven't been able to find any statement regarding forward velocity at impact. What you're referring to is merely an assumption held by several posters on this thread.

Originally Posted by bearfoil
Longitudinal is not Lateral, for purposes of VS failure discussion (...) I think quoting a value of 66g is misleading, if what you mean is failure as described by BEA
My earlier post explains the connection between the lateral aerodynamic loads to the design strength of the main attachments, and from there to the failure of these attachments under longitudinal inertia loads. And I do mean failure under impact loads as described by BEA.

your "longitudinal" strength I take to be what The NTSB calls "Bending moment".
The 'root bending moment' is the lateral component of the aerodynamic force on the vertical tail surfaces, multiplied by the distance between its working line and the root plane of the V/S. If you divide the 'bending moment' by the 'shear force' in Machaca's table you'll find a distance of about 4 m. The vertical tensile and compressive forces in the main attachments represent the equal but opposite moment in reaction to the bending moment.

regards,
HN39