PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yep, safe to fly in controlled airspace.
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2010, 17:28
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
LJR

I think you are basically correct here, but it is not the SA of the GCS, more the ABILITY to communicate if 'classical' comms are lost...ie the telephone is a good back-up.
I completely agree, and in the case of the Pred/Reaper if the aircraft goes "lost link" then it will fly the planned route to a destination and hold, squawk a specific squawk to let ATC know that the human has lost control of it and ATC will get other air users out of its way (just like a manned aircraft squawking 7600). On top of the normal telephone, there are "Chat Windows", VOIP phones, e-mails and even mobiles with SMS text - wouldn't that be great if you could do all that from a manned aircraft??

Mr Grim

I understand the resistance to change and the physical move of the pilot from the aircraft to the ground is a big change, but brace yourself for the future, try to think objectively rather than knee-jerk react.
I couldn't agree more old chap.

And finally, for mmitch

There is a plan to have a UAV patrolling the Kent and Essex coasts.
BBC News - Forces considering drone aircraft
They are also proposing their use over the Oylimpic games site in 2012!
mmitch.
I rather think that 2012 is a little ambitious for the BAES Herti and Mantis to be able to perform without huge swathes of "Restricted Airspace (Temporary)" being ceded to them - this is very unlikely to happen anywhere near the London TMA, however, for somewhere near Weymouth for the sailing this could be a possibility. I also think it very unlikely that Astrea will deliver a suitable CAA-satisfying "sense and avoid" system, so Class G is definately right out for now (and probably for 5-10years or so). So the BBC article is probably just picking up on a bit of wishful thinking from BAES.

But as Mr Grim has said "brace yourself for the future, try to think objectively rather than knee-jerk react"; this definately holds true, but probably not for 2012 (ie. 20 months away).

LJ