PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Airlines B747 Crash (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2002, 15:46
JohnBarrySmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HotDog>Well Barry, here is another 747 lesson for you:

JBS> Standing by, Sir!

HotDog>APU bleed air can be used during takoff and to a maximum altitude of 15,000ft. However in normal operational practice, the APU is switched off after engine start.

JBS>Thanks for information. In normal operating practice a cargo door does not open in flight and suck nine passengers out at 22000 feet to zero. Anyway, I have seen several times in the last few months the middle contrail of Boeing 747s that has to be the APU on. The planes are above 15000 feet and are arriving from Japan going to LA. I live under the flightpath 300 NM from LA. I also see the flash of evening sunlight glint of the engines and fuselage that is the source of the ‘Streak’ for Trans World Airlines Flight 800.

HotDog>If I were you, I would stick to your hobbyhorse of midspan latch failures, it's getting a bit embarrassing old chap.

JBS>I love it when you talk about me, old chap...but how irrelevant. The reason the question was asked was how to explain how power got to the door unlatch motor in flight. NTSB has a fine time of it in NTSB AAR 92/02.

SaturnV> Let the evidence and facts drive the conclusion, and not the other way round.

JBS>First you have to look at it and I note the comments about the other accidents reveal a lack of knowledge of the evidence and facts but a good knowledge of the conspiracy wonderful stories about the accident. (Not from SaturnV who talks evidence and history, like me.)

‘Let the evidence and facts drive the conclusion, and not the other way round’....and they are available for review at corazon.com in the Smith AAR and appendices for all three of the controversial accidents..

If were to talk facts here, as I have often, I would be accused of being tenacious, or on a hobbyhorse or whatever. So be it.

Again I look at the upside down world of 2002 where myth and superstition rule and conspiracy theories are used to deflect responsibility for airplane crashes whilst an explanation with precedent, is mechanical, has happened several times, and is offered as repeating, but is considered nutty and it’s discoverer worse.

I have photographs and wreckage reconstruction which shows twisted metal and fodded engines with breakdown analysis for evidence which is rejected while overhead conversations in late night bars by drunks are given full credence.

I can tell the conspiracy guys from the science guys. Maybe some day the science guys will rule, until then, it’s suicidal Egyptian pilot, Libyan terrorists, Sikh terrorist, Unknown terrorist with missile, a sloppy ground crew, and now with China Airlines Flight 611, trying to make China Airlines into a poor repair facility, but never never, known faulty Poly X wiring exploiting a known design weakness of a nonplug cargo door with inadequate latches and locking sectors. (NTSB excoriates FAA, Boeing and United Airlines over the United Airlines Flight 811 fiasco of ADs and implementation times in NTSB AAR 92/02 written in 1990 only after the two halves of the door were retrieved from the ocean floor and the previous AAR which said the door was improperly latched but was found to be properly latched.)

Conspiracy thinking rules! Foreigners are trying to kill us! Bombers are everywhere!

Hysteria and panic are in the air. The passengers are afraid of drunken or suicidal pilots or each other, the crew is afraid of the passengers as air rage candidates of killers in disguise, the ground personnel see terrorists everywhere as they screen the people. Lawsuits appear daily about every aspect of aviation travel.

It’s all very very sad to this aviation lover.

However, hope survives by this forum which is stimulating and has led to further deductions about China Airlines Flight 611.

For instance, the pressure relief doors are not ‘overpressure’ activated but mechanically linked to the torque tubes which turn to unlatch the latches when the door is opened intentionally. Both pressure relief doors are missing from China Airlines Flight 611 while the outline of where they used to be is seen. In addition the midspan latches are missing also. That is evidence right there that the door attempted to unlatch itself inflight with the pressure relief doors turning and bursting open, the midspan with no locking sectors turning and bursting open and the bottom eight latches with strengthened locking sectors after AD 88 12 04 holding tight and staying latched and locked. But, too late, the middle has ruptured open and the balloon popped starting the shorted wiring/aft cargo door rupture/rapid decompression/inflight breakup explanation sequence for China Airlines Flight 611.

Barry