PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots of Australia - time to unite - Meeting Aug 23
Old 30th Aug 2010, 09:46
Mr Pilot 2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an unemployed jet captain, I’m disgusted at how low these greedy ceos can go to earn their bonuses.

I looked at applying for a job in SIN a while back. I decided against it.
Look very carefully before signing the dotted line and realise in Asia the contract you sign can and will be changed if they wish, you have very little rights over there unless you pay large lawyer fees. However you still may not win.

Rent is expensive, as mentioned i'd expect around $3500-$6000 a month.
I doubt you will buy a car. The certificate to buy a small car is about $34000 on top of the price of the car (around $70000-80000 for a compact car). So around $110,000 for a compact car.
Try getting a taxi there when it’s raining, or busy times of day, almost impossible.
If your married, think seriously, will your partner be happy living in a small apartment with no car to get around.

If you’ve got kids, forget about it. High school fees, long waiting lists, large deposit to register your Childs interest in that school. Transport without a car.

Medical insurance.

I assume the $200,000SGD mentioned was for a Captain. (Is that a 1st year Captain). does that include allowances, if any.
What are the FOs going to be paid?

Singapore is not a cheap place to live.

So from a Captains $200,000SGD salary subtract $42,000-$72000SGD for rent.
Now do they same for the FOs salary.
Then consider the exchange rate. Hmmm.

Has this ceo really looked at what the cost of living will be for pilots based there? As if he really cares. You sign up, its your problem.
I’m sure they won’t be paying your rent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_of_Entitlement

I get irate at these greedy arrogant ceos on multimillion dollar salaries, whose only skill (or lack of) is to degrade the staffs pay and conditions to increase profits. Without the staff they are constantly screwing, you dont have an airline, all you have is several 170 million dollar jets parked up on the tarmac accruing parking fees.

When they fail, they leave, or are removed and paid out large bonuses, as written into their contracts

If they were starting a new Singapore registered airline, no problem, but to out base/outsource an Australian airline is obscene.

A pilot who left my old company for SQ cargo lasted about 18 months before moving to EK. I believe SQ cargo did not pay rent, whereas SQ mainline does. (dont quote me on that).
So I very much doubt J* pilots will stick it out there on the money they intend to pay.

IMHO it would only suit young single Captains and FOs and they are likely to move to other airlines in Asia or the ME once they get the opportunity. Expect a high turnover of pilots once the market moves again.

If you are going to live the expat lifestyle, do it for a major national airline on better pay and conditions than a budget airline.

Last edited by Mr Pilot 2007; 31st Aug 2010 at 08:20.