PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Robin Hood
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2010, 08:46
The Swinging Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doncaster Robin Hood

I recently had the extremely unpleasant experience of flying from Doncaster airport. No problems with the airline at all however, but the airport and the satff were absolutely dreadful.

I saw a German woman in front of me sent to the back of the queue to purchase a resealable clear bag, because the one she had used was 'too big' (it looked perfectly OK to me) When she asked why it was too big, she was told that 'those are the rules' and unless she purchased a ew one, her stuff would be destroyed. It was a disgraceful way to treat anyone, but especially someone from another country visiting over here.

I was then treated similarly and told that, whilst my clear plastic bag was of the correct size, it 'didn't conform to Dept of Transport resealable bags standard' and I too was sent back outside of the check in to go and purchase a proper bag. I know it's just another 50p, but its just the unnecessary 'nause' of it all.

When I explained that the very same bag had been OK at Heathrow, Manchester, Stanstead numerous times already this year and pretty much everywhere else in the UK, I was told by the fun police at Doncaster 'well it isn't OK here Sir, you'll have to go back and buy one of ours' When I then suggested that it would make sence to put the 'buy a bag here' machine in the area where people had their bags rejected, you would have thought I had sked them for the world frankly, and my suggestion was met with looks of anger and contempt.

Things wern't much better once you I passed through passport control/customs. The toilets were shocking. No soap, and no driers working. When I pointed it out to a member of staff, I was informed that they hadn't been working for a few weeks now!

All of the staff (even the 2 old ladies at the coffee bar) were as miserable and as unhelpful as they possibly could have been, and after I departed, I decided never to use Doncaster ever again. It is longer and more costly, but I shall drive to another airport rarther than deal with the staff at Doncaster.

I have a message for the management of Doncaster.....

If you want your airport to thrive, firstly you must employ people who want to work there. You must have people who want to do their job, especially when it comes to dealing with the public and the INTERNATIONAL public at that!
Get rid of the wasters who wander around your airport looking bored, miserable and generally pi**ed off with life, and for goodness sake get things fixed and put right.
Yesterday when I returned back, I spent ten minutes or so trying to pay for the car park only to be told that the ticket machine was out of action. (why not put a label on it I wonder)

Come on Doncaster. You are not doing yourselves any good at all. If you want expansion and if you want the public to use you, get things sorted out and put right. I for one will not be using Robin Hood again

TSM