PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Information on EASA FCL?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2010, 08:44
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope so too, not just for myself (though I could knock off the JAA PPL/IR in a few months if I really had to) but for the havoc it would cause higher up the GA food chain.

Sure one can think of ways to get around it. For example any VP-reg jet owner (let's assume he is non EU resident) could fire his pilots, transfer the jet to EU-reg, and hire JAA CPL/IRs out of the well stocked ex airline pilot pool, etc.

More cheaply, he could stick with the VP- jet and fire just the EU-resident crew and replace them with Croatians living out of hotels, with no permanent address. In practice, given EASA's use of "resident" rather than ICAO's "national" (citizen) terminology, any pilot would do if he has no evident fixed address. This aspect will be impossible to enforce on any operator who has done the usual employer's due diligence on employees who will now have a huge incentive to conceal where they live. It is just a total and complete load of bollox.

But, as a businessman myself, I don't think the typical operator is ready and willing to treat trusted employees (especially people who fly him and his family around) like dirt.