PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Low NZ Flight Test
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2010, 08:05
outboundjetsetter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok hears one.. still very fresh in my mind is my CPL flight test .. although it was around 1999 FLWOP In a LFA.Thought everything looked good, so reminded examiner of 500 ft requirement approaching 550ft.. "Continue, I want to see if you'll make it..ill call it " was the reply.? Ill make it easily i thought to myself.. ( The strip was surrounded by Grape paddocks and straight ahead I was flying into a "u" horse- shoe shaped hill for the climb out/overshoot.
At 150 FEET he called the go around.. I Felt relieved until the subsequent simulated failure at 500 feet.
I ended up turning more than 30 degrees in desperation, looking for any type of ' strip' and was not surprisingly yelled at!.After a further EFATO demonstration during the same flight test.. and one hell of a debrief, on the importance of not turning more than 30/45 degrees at low level, due to the increased descent rates, vcl etc. ( along with the story of an actual EFATO low level 180 degree turn back attempt, which resulted in multiple fatalities)..i'd passed. I have never forgotten that one.. It was kinda drilled into me, the importance of flying the plane.. even if i went straight ahead and stacked onto the grape vines.. protecting the fuselage.., may have been a better outcome then pulling into a steep turn.. washing off speed.. impacting the ground with -2000 feet a min/ negative g outcome.. not an easy call i'm sure.. depending on circumstances etc.. but flying the plane with survival in mind is paramount!.