PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hangar crash Jandakot
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2010, 07:30
Squeaks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pilot of a helicopter which crashed at jandakot airport this morning said he feared it would burst into flames, killing him and his passenger.

Dick Stookes said he and a friend had been set to fly to a mate's outback station near Newman about 7am when the accident occurred.

Mr Stookes, who along with his male passenger suffered only minor injuries, said that immediately after take off he realised the Robinson R44 helicopter's hydraulics were not switched on.

With the helicopter about 1.5m off the ground he decided to land but the helicopter tipped forward slightly, clipped a hangar and crashed on to its side.

Mr Stookes said he feared for his life.

"I was concerned it was going to ignite," he said. "We were strapped in which means you cannot get free quickly so if there is a fire then you are in trouble."

Mr Stookes said he felt "extremely lucky".

He had been fielding phone calls this morning from concerned family and friends.

"I am feeling well now," he said. "I am ashamed that the helicopter is wrecked but to be alive is more important".

Emergency crews used an absorbent to clean up 250 litres of aviation gas and hydraulic fluid leaking from the black R44's roof.

A police spokesman said the AR Stookes Pty Ltd-owned aircraft crashed about 7am, landing on its side near a hangar.
The West Australian, with video report