PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOURNEMOUTH - 2
Thread: BOURNEMOUTH - 2
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2010, 06:46
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thaimike

I wouldn't say you're being naive and your enthusiasm for BOH and your expressed concerns for the current situation are obviously heartfelt.

BUT unless you are actually involved in trying to establish/re-establish routes from any airport you don't realise how difficult it is, especially in the current economic climate. By the way, I don't work for BOH and have no particular interest in its fortunes but I don't doubt the same problems existing there as everywhere at present.

As well as currently being involved in that capacity in France I also know some very professional airport marketing people in the UK and getting airlines to sign on the dotted line is very difficult even after protracted negotiations and is a long process, so you cannot suddenly offer a vacated route to airline B and expect them to jump in with both feet. Generally airlines seem to want time to see how passenger numbers trend once the memory of the volcanic ash problems fade - this having had a greater impact on passenger confidence that is generally accepted in my view. So much air travel is now discretionary, rather than being annual holiday/VFR/business related as in the past, and many services from regional airports serve 'discretionary' destinations. The jury is still out on how well they will perform in an era of austerity.

I don't know how professional the marketing team is at BOH, but I suspect you do them an injustice in the last but one line of your post.