PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2010, 01:36
Uncle Fred

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
AnthonyGa wrote
Checking a pilot's age is pretty useless. It would be a lot more productive to check how much good-quality sleep he has had prior to arriving at the airport.

Probably one of best suggestions that I have read on this forum although that would bring the entire "game" crashing down now wouldn't it? There would have to start being more intelligent allowances for circadian disruptions built into schedules and an awareness that not every human can force himself/herself asleep for the night at 5 p.m. body time and then easily wake up a 1 a.m. body time for a 14 hour day. Some can and some can't and I feel sorry for the impairment that those who can't must suffer.

I know, I know, the answer to that is if those poor souls don't like it they should quit, but I would have thought that one day a more enlightened approach would be tried--sort of like the idea of leaving the camping area in better shape then what you found it in...

It is enviable if one is, whilst still in nappies, to be hired into a stable and growing carrier and thus have the luxury of always plying the routes that are best for them. Yet I have seen legions of poor sappers for whom fate has blown iller winds are left with the unenviable choice of having to suffer lack of sleep on their rosters or else have to consider a mid-life career change into something such as chartered accountancy (as worthy as that career might be).

Last edited by Uncle Fred; 30th Aug 2010 at 02:12.