PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2010, 22:59
Nick Thomas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your comment M2dude, am just SLF with an interest in design, due to being a member of the profession accused by the Prince of Wales "of doing more damage to this country than the Luftwaffe"!
This may seem a trival question but on the ITVV video Capt Rowlands is checking the pitch trim and the sound made is as he says "rather like a french bicycle bell" and he suggests that it may indeed be made by such a bell. I rather like that idea; but was it so?
I remember in the early eighties loading programmes into my ZX81 using cassettes; and not having much success! Mind you a cassette tape would be far better than an 8 track as an 8 track would keep reloading the route and you would end up flying in circles!
There is a serious point here and that is if you are designing such a complex machine as Concorde, if you can use proven technology in some areas then do so. It appears that all the people involved did so and didn't waste time on "reinventing the wheel" or complicating things just for the sake of it. Good design is about finding the most appropiate solution and Concorde is a fine example of that.
Once again thanks
Nick