PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2010, 22:53
WhatsaLizad-II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hornet,

It works perfectly if the old guy is control of his schedule and the weather he flys in. Forecast to land a NRT with a 30kt crosswind with a approaching Typhoon?, let the junior FO/FB/FC fly it or use one of his 1000 sick hours to stay home. The less senior guy flying reserve narrowbody doesn't have that luxury. 30 Kt crosswind with mins at LGA, "F.U., you fly pilotboy, we don't care if your a geriatric". Get the picture?

In my previous example of flying with geriatrics in charter jets, I mentioned one in particular who lived by the motto and I respected for it. At the end of a long duty day when we were both fatigued, he would tell me he couldn't do the job that late as good as he could at 10am. Our little "system" worked fine.

The problem was, there was another geriatric at the same company who apparently never heard of that motto, thought he was Chuck Yeager and aging wasn't a problem, just young whippersnappers. This was the guy that almost killed me and the CEO of a Fortune 500 Corporation. He also passed medicals with flying with an easy FAA Dr. He was passed by a reputable simulator training company although I could tell they fudged the system to get him through from learning his "new techniques". Let me tell you how much fun it was getting off every flight with this "senior menace" and hearing from the pax "You let the young kid fly today didn't you?". The worthless puke never admitted he bounced the pax all over the cabin every flight. Yes, after I reported the attempted murder on me and the CEO, and I was promptly placed in the "doghouse" for questioning the "Senior Aviator" of impeccable credentials. That's how the political life is at many non-union pilot groups with "connected, untouchable" individuals. Knowing that reality, that's why I am for an arbitrary age cutoff.

Not long afterwards I was let out of the doghouse and given treats for my integrity. You see, Mr CEO had his own jet down for maintenance which is why we got the charter. Mr CEO had a good Chief Pilot who busted into our op looking for scalps after learning of the bosses experience.

I'd bow out of the debate if it was purely about money and the left seat. Since that time I've seen many others exhibiting the same problems I've dealt with in the past. Age is a factor. I don't know what to say when another poster replies to my points that almost dying from it is not a factor, and no additional testing for old guys is fair. it's like the debate with guns. It seems like myself and others are to submit to this risk because additional testing would be unfair to others like old people.

One get some clarity on the issue after finding yourself involuntarily hyperventilating on rollout after an exceptionally stupid move from a 63 year old in a bizjet.

The denial present on this board is stunning.