PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots of Australia - time to unite - Meeting Aug 23
Old 29th Aug 2010, 16:42
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keg is spot on - when I left Singapore 8+ years ago the school fees were Sin$20k++ (uniforms/books etc etc etc)/annum PER CHILD at the Australian International School. If anyone, particularly management, suggests you can put your child in a local school he/she is being particularly disingenuous - its not an option for all sorts of social and cultural reasons.

Last I heard AIS (great school btw, my daughter loved it) was Sin$25k++/annum/child.

Even living well away from the expat enclaves (which we did and loved but then I was operating out of Seletar not Changi) a nice 3/4 bedroom apartment will be 4-5k Sin/month ++ (utilities etc).

Everything in Singapore is expensive unless you live like a local - thats ok a few days a week but again not sustainable long term unless you thrive on noodles.

For BB to suggest wages must be locally competitive is BS - all airlines in asia employ expats because they dont have enough qualified locals - expat T&Cs are significantly better than what the same individual would earn working back in Oz - that is the only reason we stay expats - if I wasn't financially better off overseas I would have applied to VB/J* et al YEARS ago.

The typical expat package includes a net wage equal or better than what is on offer at home PLUS housing/school fees/medical/evacuation insurance (for the whole family)/annual leave tickets/decent staff travel for the whole family and a decent personal effects shipping allowance.

For the theoretical J* captain grossing Aud$180-200k that means Sin$220k before you take into account the expat package which for someone with 2 kids of school age would easily top a further S$120k. Anything less than that and you WILL be financially worse off in Singapore and when the novelty wears off, and it does, you will be a very unhappy bunny - or your wife will be which means you will be too.

Go and find out what an expat SQ A330/777 captain/FO's package is and then compare it to what J* is offering. Don't let BB suggest their package is generous compared to local pilot wages in asia because you are NOT LOCALS.

It would be a VERY cold day in hell before BB would accept a package that did not include all the above to go and manage a company in Singapore - why should you?