PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Viking Airlines
Thread: Viking Airlines
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2010, 10:07
excrab

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Aviator forever,

Yes there was a letter circulated after goldtrails went bust.

After Kiss went bust two more letters were circulated to the staff via the company intranet, and all staff have now been contacted by their managers and know what is happening to them.

As PW has posted on here already it is no secret that three aircraft ae being returned to sunwings early.

Bristol and Manchester bases have closed and sadly most of cabin crew have been made redundant from those bases. Some of those from Manchester were permanent staff, those from Bristol were on temporary contracts. The permanent cabin crew from Gatwick still have jobs.

The pilots on summer contracts have had their contracts terminated about two weeks early, and in the meantime have been rebased to Gatwick and offered either a payment to find accomodation there or Hotel accomodation at Vikings expense when they are flying. They have been told that there may be some work in Iraq, but they have not had their contracts terminated for refusing to go there as was suggested in one of the posts above.

No permanent flight crew have been made redundant, although those from Bristol and Manchester have had to return to Gatwick.

All that is information available to me as an employee. It isn't secret.

Yes there is a similarity to Xl - the owner of Viking lives in a big house. If I owned an airline I would want to live in a big house as well. If I was clever enough to own an airline instead of just working for one I would also make sure it was a limited company so that if it went bust I could keep my big house - but then I would do the same if I was a plumber or a baker.

But there is a big difference between Viking and Xl. Viking is still trading, it is reducing in size but all its employees are aware of that. They are not finding out that it has gone bust when they get to work to find the receivers in the crew room to take their ID passes from them. Viking is a small airline with six aircraft (Viking Hellas is a seperate company with three more). It isn't the UKs third largest leisure group apparently financed by smoke and mirrors.

Hopefully any of vikings passengers reading this forum won't be deceived into thinking that conjecture based on a few people hating Phil Wyatt is reality and they will not have flights next week or next month. Kiss went bust, not Viking airlines.