PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bill Hamilton gives REX 6 months
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2002, 12:06
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ulm

Indeed Mr Kerans is taking a positive role in a difficult environment trying to keep it shiny side up and for that he has and will always have my total support.

Maybe I misinterpreted his post but we have no way of clearing it up.

Now about Mr Pike, it is interesting to review his participation and response to the usual robust discussion of the official AOPA submission to the Minister in this thread

New Airspace Proposal

There is not a post that where he doesn't insult or patronise. His answers a PPRuNer (who identified himself as a B747 and 767 driver) who was asking what he thought was a valid question about the difference between a Jet and any other IFR aircraft in the context of the discussion with “Jets go faster son”. He sounds like a joy to work with in the cockpit. He may well be but he doesn’t seem all that interested in showing his election base other wise.
OK he is entitled to his view but he knows our rules and it is OUR Forum for each and every one and is not “closed to members only”.
It is interesting that the “public forums” closed a short time after the visit here by Mr Pike or was it after a former VP got himself into trouble here. Doesn’t matter, it’s not reaching their target audience the non-members that they desperately need as members.
I went and had a look at their site just a minute ago and it is very difficult to find out what their stand, policy or current campaign is on anything beyond the usual web links, press releases.
I held out a hand with some friendly advice on how to handle the denizens herein and get his message across.
They or any one for that matter will and do get a fair hearing here, unless they resort to these tactics.

I wonder, should they even be bothered with your opinions and arguments, are you a member of AOPA??? I am. If you are then tell them what you want, a letter to the magazine or something.
To quote another PPRuNer from the same thread that says it much better than I.

Pikey, Good to see you posing on this forum. It can only do good for AOPA to enter into the debate. I think you need to realise that anonymity is the mainstay of this forum and part of the reason for its success in the open discussion of issues. The fact is that AOPA got hit for six under the reign of the past three Presidents and your membership numbers reflect this. You have a lot of ground to recover and I wish you luck.
my bold

I have chosen not to be since soon after Mr Patroni ‘retired’.
Given their past performance I would suggest to you, that it is they who should be “bothered with our opinions and arguments.”, it is they who have to mend the bridges and restore their credibility with their constituents and the politicians.
I am prepared to listen.

It is not PPRuNe v AOPA either. They both have their proper place in the firmament. They are missing out on a powerful tool that can only be to their benefit if they learn how to use it properly. The nature of PPRuNe is such that ideas and issues can be “floated” debated and tested much more freely here than elsewhere gain REAL input from “inside” that they may be otherwise denied.
Sure there is a lot of chaff, but that is the nature of the beast and human comms, the kernels that do pop out are priceless.

The ball is in their court; we, or at least I anyway, await the return of service if they think it will be worthwhile.

Historical gems ???………….. why, there are heaps, :o……….well I can think of at least one, :o ………isn’t there …………..Heck I even agreed with Mr Hamilton.