PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sandown Airport to close
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2010, 23:34
Sleeve Wing

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry Sandown, IOW.

I have just checked an old teenage logbook to find that I first went to Sandown on the 31st.March, 1959, in Auster Autocrat, G-AIGR, from Leicester East Airfield, followed by Exeter, Staverton and return to Leicester.
I have been in many times since, when my flying started it's final descent, even with my sons, after a military and airline career of over 50 years.
It is a real shame that Sandown, with it's wide NE/SW grass runway, has succumbed to the greed of yet another "developer" but nothing was more certain than when someone was "encouraged" to burn down the beautiful (new) log restaurant. That was indeed the signing of intent that Sandown was to be no more.
Bembridge, even with the enthusiasm of B-N and the Hynetts, never had the same presence as Sandown; never the same cosy feeling as a landing at EGHN.
It was like White Waltham. The runway(s) weren't the smoothest but the reception was totally "garden party". Warm welcome, cosy lounge, great people and a feeling of acceptance like a second home.
Yep, in our progressive world, it was bound to happen. Money is all that matters. The fact that personalities like Mary Ellis (to whom I was introduced in the Tower, back in the dim and distant) now mean nothing, despite their exceptional contribution.
Congratulations, you a*esoles. I'm sure you can live with YOUR contribution to the wholesome story of the Island. Future local inhabitants may not be so condcesending in their assessment of your contribution. Still, who cares ? We've made our few bob.