PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOURNEMOUTH - 2
Thread: BOURNEMOUTH - 2
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2010, 23:22
BOHe-man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I try and calm things down a bit and try to take a reasoned approach to some of the things being said here.

It is easy to blame Ryanair for everthing that is wrong in the world. Its almost a national pastime
Originally Posted by sky9
The moral of the story is
1 Don't trust a word that Ryanair say as they will chop and change at a moments notice.
2 Don't make long terms plans based on Ryanair's statements.
Sky9 - The moral of your story is right but if you substitute the word 'Ryanair' for 'a bank', or 'a stockbroker', or 'any company' or 'the Government' I think you will find that the argument holds equally true.

Originally Posted by DILLTHEDOG
But I think a few at BOH would quite like to hold MOL under the water for a while, maybe you could use an overweight bag to hold him down.
Perhaps a little bit harsh, Dillthedog. Michael O'Leary is an engaging fellow and a very, very astute businessman. Without him there would be no Ryanair. Remember, Ryanair have been operating into Bournemouth for nearly 20 years I think. Probably the longest continous user of the airport and now the largest. How many flights do they have now? How much of the development of the airport is due to that? How many jobs are down to that? How much revenue generated?

Originally Posted by DILLTHEDOG
maybe you can cast your mind back to the 5 / 6 based Aircraft that were coming to BOH !
Unfortunately I can't cast my mind back to that Can you show me the statement, or press release, or signed contract that states it? I think the supporters of BOH (and I am one of them) have selective hearing when it comes to this sort of thing. The business I am in has many parallels to the aviation sector (but fortunately not so cut-throat). We make plans to develop and expand with the best will in the world. But no one makes that sort of statement. If Ryanair said anything, I imagine it was "We foresee 5 or 6 aircraft IF ..." or "We hope to expand IF ...". And at the time they probably really did foresee that. What no one could foresee was the global recession we are in now. Or Eyjaflof.. Eyyafjok.. that volcano.

Unfortunately, Ryanair are a big company and they use that size quite ruthlessly. But any other big company is just the same. Ask a milk producer what he gets paid by the big supermarkets.

They are also a European-wide company which brings little old BOH into direct competition with many other regional airports all over Europe. That means governments and regional governments which support their local airports and even their airlines with grants and subsidies. Not supposed to happen of course but it still goes on in the rest of Europe while the UK meekly abides by all the EU rules. But that's a separate rant

Anyway, we are not out of the recession yet but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Just that it may be a very long tunnel and when we do get there guess who will still be there - Ryanair, love 'em or hate 'em but BOH needs them.