PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2010, 22:06
WhatsaLizad-II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checking a pilot's age is pretty useless. It would be a lot more productive to check how much good-quality sleep he has had prior to arriving at the airport.
Useless?

I will consider many things if flying with fellow crewmember I've never worked before. Personal appearance, attention to detail, motivation to do the job correctly per the company and air regs despite distractions, and including age. Very young and very old will warrant my attention until assurred of adequate performance.

I guess I was dreaming about my past experience of flying with age 60+ pilots and the proportion of them demonstrating performance limitations.

Good quality sleep? shall we begin another discussion regarding the quality of sleep one gets with age advances. How many times does one hear of the failure to get 8+ hours of uninterrupted sleep with those in the aging process? Another related issue is the interruption of sleep cycles with aviation. I agree that good rest is important and every age group suffers in performance as a result. this was another result I saw first hand flying with 60+ pilots. There isn't a thing as good rest or sleep with a 3 am wake up call and denying that it doesn't affect a rising number of older pilots as they age is criminally negligent.