PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GVA-SXF EasyJet Cracked Windshield
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2010, 18:47
atakacs

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GVA-SXF EasyJet Cracked Windshield

On August 15th the regularly scheduled GVA to SXF flight was diverted to ZHR due to a cracked windshield in the cockpit.

The aircraft (A320) was repaired in Zurich and the flight was resumed with an approx 23h delay...

I have a few questions regarding this incident if I may...

Easyjet in it's communication went to say that a cracked windshield was a relatively common incident. Is it really the case on the A320 (there was no foreign object involved, it happened at cruise altitude) ?

Diversion was decided when the flight was somewhere between BSL and FKT. What is the standard A320 procedure in such cases (notwithstanding that it's the skipper's decision anyway) ? Divert to next suitable airport ? Immediate landing ? I would venture to say that BSL might have been both closer and more convenient (being an EasyJet base). And continuing to destination would have not added more that 20, max 30 minutes to the flight time. Any idea why Zurich ?

What is the actual repair procedure in such case and more importantly who is actually authorized / equipped for this ? Is it a no brainer or something highly specialized ?