PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways Stage 2 (Assessment and GD)
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2010, 16:30
jimmygill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some may find this familiar.

On October 1, 2008, about 1140 Alaska daylight time, a Cessna U206C airplane, N29109, was destroyed following a loss of engine power and collision with a building during takeoff initial climb from Merrill Field, Anchorage, Alaska. The airplane was being operated by the pilot as a visual flight rules (VFR) personal cross-country flight under Title 14, CFR Part 91, when the accident occurred. The commercial pilot and sole passenger received fatal injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and a VFR flight plan was filed.
Probable Cause, ANC09FA001
Full Narrative ANC09FA001

On this one, my group was focused on how 'careless' the pilot was, in fact so focussed that they altogether missed the point that crash was largely due to loss of control owing to incorrect handling of power loss at takeoff. They were kind of stuck on the fact that pilot was not carrying the correction glasses.

On June 3, 1999, at 1745 eastern daylight time, a Cessna T310Q, N1273G, was destroyed during a forced landing in West Laurens, New York. The certificated private pilot was seriously injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the positioning flight which originated from Waterloo Municipal Airport (ALO), Waterloo, Iowa, at 1349. The flight was operated on an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan under 14 CFR part 91. ...
Full Narrative NYC99LA128
Probable/Factual Cause NYC99LA128

On this one the group was more focussed on questions

1) Why did the pilot chose Fl210 for cruising (They were told that it was a Cessna, the model was kept away from them)

2) Why did the pilot took flight when auto-pilot was inoperative?

3) Poor flight planning seemed to be consensus view on this accident?

4) Second dominated view was bad judgement?

5) Why file IFR and increase work load, when you know that Auto pilot is not working?

Pilot partial incapacitation, no takers? While a statement from surviving pilot read "My remaining focus was concentrated on controlling the airspeed and keeping the wings level to assure a safe landing...When I descended through a broken ceiling at about 1,000 feet, I know I had to get the aircraft down quickly as my thought processing was diminishing. Luckily I was in farm country and spotted a field in which could safely set down the aircraft without any threat of injuring anyone. I successfully brought the plane down 'gear up'...."

Last edited by jimmygill; 28th Aug 2010 at 17:13.