PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Developments
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2010, 14:21
finalcall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to strongly disagree with anyone suggesting that the E-Jets are not the right aircraft for GF on many short haul routes particularly within the GCC. As every body knows (since a majority of us here are pilots), flights to DOH/AUH/DXB/KWI/MCT/DMM/Iraq/Iran average approximately 60% loads on the A 320 operated flights which are also US$ 1400 per hour (avg cost of all airlines worldwide) more costlier to operate versus a smaller E70.

The E70 and E90 allows GF in the future to operate these flights at a much lower operational cost + the load factor automatically increases due to the smaller aircraft being used which in turn increases yield revenue. It also allows us to open new routes that are deemed to be too big for an A 319/320 to handle such as the markets in Central Asia and Iraq. Remember, the E-Jets is best used on thin routes where bilateral restrictions are not in place to allow for greater frequencies i.e. GCC/AMM/BEY and not on capacity restricted routes such as KHI.

Yes as you pilots are aware, the E70 does have some issues operating in hot weather i.e. over 46C but that is now going to be fixed and shall not be an issue with the E90 aircraft that are getting delivered next month.

If you all think the E Jets are not good aircraft designed for a regional schedule on routes that currently with an A 320 operate at 50-70% load factor + require double-triple daily frequency then kindly explain why Oman Air and Saudia Airlines chose to purchase these aircraft and why Qatar Airways is also going the 'regional' way by purchasing 30 Bombardier C 100/300 Series?

In the long run though, in my opinion the best regional jet for Gulf Air is the Bombardier C100 along with the C300 due to its superior technology and greater flying range capability with a full payload.
Sorry to stray away from the topic, you make a good point. But dont you think 10
E jets are a bit too much? I think if they would start shuttle services to Qatar,Kuwait Dubai etc. that would be really good for the airline.

And also, the E-190 has the capacity of 94. While the 318 has the capacity of 106/107..
So why not just order the 318? the 318 has somewhat the same potential as the E-190...

Lastly, i read some thing about a BOD urging GF to lease the 777 for the USA route..
There are alot of rumor circulating in the airline according to an old chap...