PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2010, 02:00
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mm43
JD-EE
I believe somebody some time ago pointed out the part's part number was 36g? Or did I miss that getting refuted.
Arm 36g was so named due to a requirement in the regulations, and its part name is directly related to the moment it was designed to handle. HazelNuts39 found the appropriate reference, and though I haven't done a search, the original discussion on the subject is spread through pages 20 ~ 30 in this thread. I believe that OE's analysis of Arm 36g is probably correct, and tail strike protection of the rudder is probably the prime reason for its existence.
Nonetheless, are we missing the point that "36 times the acceleration of gravity" is not a force? What is it that gets accelerated and what is the actual force vector that widget is supposed to handle?

When we know that we can address bearfoil's well meaning if persistent insistence on a specific loss of VS type scenario. One scenario I've not been mentioning lately that I can envision is quite literally a tail strike scenario as the pilots lose control, lose a lot of altitude, regain at least partial control in a dive, and are still trying to pull up when they meet the reality that they didn't have enough altitude to even lay the plane down on the water properly. The tail strike in that situation would put the tail underwater first with very heavy drag and the elevators providing sufficient force to peel the tail assembly upwards damaging the nose of the VS and breaking the attachments in the manner shown. That seems low probability. It seems to explain the particular damage to the plane, especially if the tail assembly as a whole is also torn off. It does not explain the mostly level attitude, though. What attitude of such a plane produces a tail strike while it is still on the runway? I presume a somewhat lower angle would strike the tail first before the main part of the fuselage with no landing gear down.

This all hinges, pun intended I suppose, on the meaning of the 36g, the vector of that acceleration, and the design strength of the widget. It also is important whether that part's strength is intended for tail strike protection. 36 times the acceleration of gravity is one hellacious jolt. The passengers might not survive it even if the VS did.