PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2010, 00:15
bearfoil

hi Machinbird

I think a slow spiral is possible bottom first, I don't consider the mass to be at all evenly distributed, with taper at the top edge, much more massive root and attached structure.

Now I must build a model, I'm thinking a meter or more in height, and rigid, meaning styrofoam, and a floppy TE. Probably more height at launch, too, to allow stability to "set" (perhaps wishful thinking.)

17:45 local. First iteration is fifteen inches tall, made of layers of heavy paper in a shape quite close to actual, visually it looks roughly similar in weight, weight distribution, and weighted to estimate structure retained by VS. No "Rudder" but the overall dimensions mimic the two panels. Dropped from twelve feet then fifteen, both times drops like a lawn dart, with a very slow spiral. Bottom down, still as a stone, no flutter of any kind. More drops and notice a peculiar thing. It falls in fidelity with the aspect I drop it with. Top down release, top down all the way. Bottom down release, bottom down all the way. Perhaps a third of a square foot in total area with a weight of 50 grams, the weight may need to decrease, there has to be something wrong with the stability I'm seeing. It is too stable. GreatBear of great animation, are you interested in some unpaid work?

bear

Last edited by bearfoil; 28th Aug 2010 at 00:50.