PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2010, 20:31
bearfoil

ChristiaanJ

bonjour! I used to walk by Yeager's F-104 (at the time on a pylon outside the lounge) on the way to "work", and the hard points at the tips were quite visible. The wing in cross section was thin alright, the LE had a cover on it, it was 1mm radius I believe. The wing also had a definite asymmetry, not so much in chord but it had a double curve, looking straight down the tip, it looked like a noodle. It had massive Flaps, basically planks, no airfoil. The Wing appeared to be machined out of billet, but I have seen working drawings, they are rib spar and skin, (Very thick skin relative to thickness of the wing overall). As I recall, the reason for so much anhedral was the airframe was too stable in roll, so the pilot was busy staying level. A lazy pilot of this thing was a dead pilot.

Hope to see you on t'other thread, I haven't lost my marbles, and my theory has more to do with nomenclature than one may assume at first. Oh, yeah, the rumor was that a living 104 jock had tattoos on the inner eyelids, "Speed is Life".