PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2010, 18:41
bearfoil

henra

You are getting dangerously close to an onslaught of Bernoulli banter. As a pilot, I am familiar with aerodynamics, so I will question your framing VS/Rudder as a High Lift Wing. I am on strong ground here, and must insist you be more specific. The Lift isn't Lift, strictly speaking, but can be characterised as such, for ease of understanding by those unfamiliar. If you shoot back with a defense of terms ("Lift"), I will be forced to get into why Bernoulli is for basic understanding, but is difficult to release, even for professionals, who do not pursue more complete study.

The model, if necessary, must have a fully articulating Trailing edge, ("Flap") since of course RTLU was inop, (or was it, actually?).

Hint: If you count molecules, by sheer number the work is on the high pressure side of the "Panel". Hint #2: A ruddered VS is a High "Descent" wing, and that's why using Bernoulli confuses even pilots.

I'll just keep going while you write. The "Airfoil" shape hasn't anything to do with The VS' purpose. It is an artifact of an engineering consideration having to do with strength v. drag/weight. A perfect VS has NO dimension relative to airflow, obviously. It would resemble a perfectly flat sheet of infinitely strong material with a similar panel hinged at the TE.

over to you,
small bear

Last edited by bearfoil; 27th Aug 2010 at 19:04.