PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silhouette challenge
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2010, 11:42
SincoTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the clarification RegDep, I had assumed from the timings (and the lack of any question marks) that you were responding to skytrain's remark about trying to find a photo of the Patchen Explorer, as that's the only aircraft image that Goggle presents!

More info on that one:

David Thurston who designed and devolped the Thurston Teal, also designed a landplane version designated TSC-2 Explorer, in conjunction with an aviation magazine and Marvin Patchen Inc, which financed this development and acquired the production rights for this aircraft, planning to build civil and law-enforcement versions as the Explorer and Observer respectively.

Subsequently, Dr Maitland Reed’s National Dynamics (Pty) Ltd of Durban, South Africa, acquired this project from Patchen, but later decided not to build either version of this aircraft.

The sole Patchen Explorer, is still alive and well, operated by the South African Air Force Museum. The prototype was shipped to the Republic of South Africa and evaluated by the SAAF's test flight and development centre for use as a light recon forward air control aircraft, but was not quite what was required. As a result it languished in a hangar for many years before being donated to the SAAF Museum.

Comments by Display pilot — James R Feuilherade 11/15/00. Why only one prototype was ever built I do not know, as it is a great little aircraft with a fantastic helicopter-type view from the cockpit. I will admit that it does not have the greatest control harmony (sensitive rudder and elevator, heavy ailerons), but it goes well with a 200hp Lycoming and variable-pitch prop. I served with the SAAF Museum during 1999 as a display pilot and flew the Patchen at many airshows. It looks so weird that it attracts far more interest at airshows than many of the vintage aircraft!

Last edited by SincoTC; 27th Aug 2010 at 11:54.