PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zaon XRX PCAS issues
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2010, 10:45
VMC-on-top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaon XRX PCAS issues

I recently bought a second hand Zaon XRX PCAS for using with my Garmin 496.

The display on the GPS is excellent and very clear, however, I've had a number of relatively minor issues with it recently and wondered if anyone else using the same, had experienced the same.

Primary problem is "ghosting" ie yesterday, I was tootling along in VMC, 30k vis and had an aircraft on the display directly behind me, then slightly to the right, then left (less than a mile each time), sometimes 1200ft below, sometimes above.

Further, it didn't seem to pick up aircraft in the circuit when I got back - I accept this could be that aircraft in the circuit didn't have their transponders on etc.

FInal issue is the relative position of aircraft to me. Most recently, I had a warning of aircraft approaching, about 30 degrees off dead centre, similar height. The warning flashed up as being dead ahead, then off to the right, then off to the left (by up to a mile each time) etc.?

Are these problems "normal" or is it down to the positioning of the unit on the dash? I fly a PA28 with a split windscreen, therefore a strip of metal down the middle of the screen. Is it simply a case of positioning as far away from that as possible?

Would be interested to hear of others experiences.